How to Talk to a Psychologist Online
There can often be barriers to accessing mental health services – like lingering social stigma around seeking mental health support, having to make time in a busy schedule, living in a remote or rural area and limited availability with local psychologists.
Thankfully, remote psychology services through telehealth have helped to remove many of these barriers. Help is at your fingertips via your phone or laptop, providing convenient and quick access to an online therapist or treatment.
Recognising the need for accessible mental health support, there are a growing number of organisations – like our online psychology partner, Recharge Wellness* – that provide a private, safe, and secure environment for online video consultations with highly experienced and qualified psychologists. An online consultation may also be a beneficial starting point for some people who may not feel as though they are ready to speak to a clinician face-to-face.
If you find yourself struggling, like so many others, and suffering with your mental health lately, you may be eligible for support as part of the Australian Government’s mental health initiative. With a valid Mental Health Treatment Plan (MHTP), you can receive Medicare rebates for up to 10 sessions per year with a mental health professional, like an online psychologist.
If you don’t have a MHTP yet, are you are wanting more affordable online therapy, you can easily book a bulk bill appointment^ online with one of our Doctors to assess your eligibility.
Claiming Your 10 Online Psychology Sessions
The process is simple. All you need to do is:
- Visit the Doctors on Demand mental health webpage and book a video consultation with a doctor. This is a no cost service for Medicare card holders. If you don’t have a Medicare card, you can still book a private fee appointment and speak with one of our mental health trained Doctors about your mental health concerns at any time.
- Answer a few quick questions. You will need to read over a list of statements and pick an option which indicates how much the statement applied to you over the past week.
- Chat with your Doctor about a plan. Your doctor will assess, and if they deem it appropriate, work with you to set goals, and develop a Mental Health Treatment Plan. There is a possibility that a MHTP is not created, it is not a guaranteed outcome. Your doctor may consider other treatment options as more appropriate for you.
- Get referred. Your doctor may provide a referral to a psychologist, psychiatrist, or other mental health professional. Initially, a Mental Health Treatment Plan will be for 6 sessions. You have the option to of choosing our online psychology partner, or you may have a preferred provider in mind. It’s your choice who you are referred to.
- Come back for review. It is important that your care plan is reviewed regularly. Once you have completed your first 6 sessions with a mental health professional, you will need to come back for review with our doctors. If appropriate, your doctor will then refer you for another 4 sessions.
Remember, you don’t have to go through this alone.
Our Doctors are available online for a non-judgmental conversation about any mental health challenges you might be experiencing, and help you plan a way forward.
Book a no-cost consultation for Mental Health Treatment via a fully online video consult and access support no matter where you are.
If you’re in crisis or feeling unsafe, please call 000 for immediate assistance, or contact Lifeline at 13 11 14.
*Doctors on Demand has partnered with online psychology providers and may receive sponsorship fees.
^This is a bulk bill service for Medicare card holders.